The Three Kings’ parade, Melchior, Baltasar and Caspar or the Twelfth Night ( the day of Epiphany) through Barcelona on January 5 from 5.30 p.m. top 9 p.m.. It is a 5 km long parade through the city, from the Ciutadella Park to the Plaza Espana ( Montjuic fira). It is the bigger street event in Barcelona. Parents take ladders for their children to see the procession as many people enjoy watchng the procession.
The 3 KINGS bring gifts to the children in Spain (it is not Santa Claus). It is a very important day for the children when they will wake up on January 6th, they will find toys, games, sweets …..At the beginning of January, in many department stores, you will see one of the King and a valet seated giving sweets ( more than 15.000 kg) to children. The Three Kings are also called the 3 Wise Men. Gaspar is coming with real camels !
Be carefull January 6th is a bank holiday in Spain. All stores will get closed but not the museums. Many streets in the centre are closed from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m.
Route map of the parade
-4.30 p.m. animations for the people waiting for the arrival of the Kings at Moll del Fusta ( Port Vell)
- at 5.30 p.m.. arrival by boat of their Majesties the Kings at Moll del Fusta and congratulation by the chief of Barcelona, Joan Clos. Lot of fireworks welcome the Kings. Once they have arrived, the major of Barcelona, will give them the keys for all Barcelona’s doors so that they get in all houses to leave the presents, and will welcome them with bread and salt, following the tradition.
- at 6 .30 p.m. start of the procession ( la Cabalgata). Exit from av. Marquès Argentera. Start in front of the Ciutadella park.
- at 7 p.m. Vía Laietana (post office).
- at 7.20 p.m. Plaza Urquinaona.
- at 7.30 p.m. Plaza Catalunya.
- at 7.45 p.m. Plaza Universitat.
- at 8 p.m. calle Sepúlveda.
- at 8.20 p.m. calle Vilamarí.
- at 8.40 p.m. calle Lleida.
- at 9 p.m. Arrival at Av. de Rius i Taulet. Magical Fontain (Plaza Espana)
Video Cabalgata Barcelona 2007 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bR8cE40gAc&feature=related
Many street artists take part of this event. The 3 kings and their valets throw sweets in the streets of Barcelona. More than 500 people organize the event.
On January 6, people buy a special pastry (the twelfth Night cake), called Roscon de Reyes or COCA (in catalan) with dried fruits. There is a charm in it, the one who finds it, has to pay the pastry.
Concerning your stay in Barcelona, if you are looking for an accommodation Barcelona in the city centre, just book an apartment with Cocoon Barcelona which offers a wide range of great apartments. Just click on the link above
Related Barcelona posts:
- Barcelona: theThree Kings Parade
In Spain and Catalonia the biggest Christmas celebration is not the 25th of December (as in many other countries) but on the 5th of Jenuary, when the three kings of the Orient – Balthasar, Gaspar & Melchior – arrive at the crib of the baby Jesus. This is celebrated with...
- Barcelona Sales starts on January 7 – Shopping time!
Shop til you drop – Barcelona is a very popular destination for shopping enthusiasts. One of the reasons are for sure the accessible prices for the Spanish clothing brands like Zara (Inditex Group) and Mango. Zara copies all new trends and designs from fashion designers right from the catwalk almost...
- Barcelona celebrating the Fiesta de La Merce from September 23rd to 26th 2010
Every year in september Barcelona becomes a city of traditional spectacles side by side with the most contemporary artistic shows like theatre and independent music. La Fiesta Mercé is the cities most important festival of the year. The distant origin of the festival today: in the 17th century the city...
- Gay Pride Barcelona 2009
Barcelona is getting ready to welcome you in June 2009 to the event that will become the Mediterranean’s most important Gay Pride, Pride Barcelona’09. Between the 20th and the 28th of June 2009 the city of Barcelona offers an event with all sorts of activities, including film, culture, entertainment, sport...
- Festa Major Gracia Barcelona
Do not miss this festival event if you are in Barcelona. The Festa Major in Gracia is from August 15th to 21st 2009. This year’s theme is the “Nova Canço” , because of the 50th anniversary of the catalan songs from years 60′s to 70′s : singers : Maria del...